From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2014 16:01:35 +0200
Any woman whose motivation stays high as she watches the idea of
having her baby at her breast recede into the distance and finds
pumping physically painful, would almost be abnormal.

We don't know how the circumstances of the birth (CS for transverse
lie, an absolute obstacle to vaginal birth and one that can be
dramatic indeed) affected the mother emotionally. I've met lots of
parents whose babies' births were traumatic and most of them are very
concerned about avoiding anything else that might be difficult or
painful for the baby, even if it only sounds like it might be painful
(frenotomy, 'body work' -which always calls to my mind what happens to
cars after collisions, when some mechanic goes at them with mallets to
bang out the dents).

Unless a mother says outright to me 'I don't really care to invest any
time or effort in breastfeeding, so I'll do it as long as it requires
nothing special from me' I would not dare to rate her motivation as
lacking, even when I see her not taking suggestions  from me or anyone
else that might help her to produce more milk.

When I first started practicing in women's health, women with
debilitating menstrual cramps were considered to have a form of gender
dysphoria. Someone had discovered that women with painful menses were
less positive about being female than women whose menses were painless
and the conclusion, believe it or not, was that womens' negative
attitude toward being femaie CAUSED menstrual pain. Then the effect of
anti-prostaglandins on painful menses was discovered and suddenly lots
more women didn't mind being female.

Perhaps if the cause of this mother's pain were found, and she could
get help for it, her motivation would skyrocket.

Just my 30 ml worth
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway