From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2015 17:18:20 +0000

> On Aug 20, 2015, at 10:54 AM, Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Pete,  what do you see as the differences between the two?  I would think that most things would be very common.

I have always sought common ground. But in answer to your question, small timers seem pay more attention to details, tend to being doing beekeeping because they like it. A lot of commercial beekeepers do it because it’s the only job they know, and many tend to look down on small holders because those folks don’t have to turn a profit or make a payroll.

One commercial beekeeper in our group stated that the state association is for commercials and the small holders are there as guests. Which was pretty funny because at the time the Pres, VP and 2nd VP were all small holders. Then they voted them out of office and changed the membership to include different levels. For one hundred years, this question wasn’t asked. To me it appears that they are attempting to create levels of influence.

As I have said before, the commercials may have the majority of beehives in the US, but small holders represent the majority of beekeepers. Further, we mostly keep bees where we live, whereas the migratory operators travel from state to state. When they are off pollinating cranberries, our bees are still here pollinating in the communities where we live, free of charge.

PLB