Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2014 17:11:41 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (81 lines)
<www.flickr.com/photos/64404343@N02/13741808305>

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charles Neel
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 11:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: mystery glass artifact

Bottom pic

From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Evans, Lynn (DNR)
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 10:54 AM

If we consider the first picture the top, then the bottom is identical; the hole goes all the way through.  The rest of the exterior connecting the top and bottom, except for the flat side I just posted, is clear curved glass.  Which view are you wanting?

From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charles Neel
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 11:25 AM

Could you post one more picture of the third side?

From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Evans, Lynn (DNR)
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 9:16 AM

I have added a view looking through the opening on the flat side.  Here's the link:

<www.flickr.com/photos/64404343@N02/13738647413>

Lynn

From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Harding Polk
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 5:09 PM

It reminds me of the juice collecting tray on my modern orange/lemon juicer. Size and shape are very similar.  On my modern one there is a sort of pointed dome that overlaps over the hole.  You slice the orange in half and mash it down on the dome and the juice runs down into the tray and then out the side spout into a glass or other container.  However on the modern one, the hole is necessary because there is a vertical motor-driven spindle that sticks up through the hole and the dome fits onto it.  The dome is faceted for more complete extraction of the juice.  The attached photos sort of shows what I am trying to describe.  

Side view photos would help.  

Harding Polk II
[log in to unmask]

To: HISTARCH <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, Apr 7, 2014 9:11 am
Subject: mystery glass artifact

Hello all - We have a mystery glass object, a thick, hollow disk, with the center cut out.  It is 4.75" in diameter; the slightly off-center hole is 2.25" 
in diameter; the disk is about 2" deep.  One side is flat, and has a rectangular hole through it (1.75" x 1.5").  You can see an image at the link below:

www.flickr.com/photos/64404343@N02/13694786095/<http://www.flickr.com/photos/64404343@N02/13694786095/>

The object was found in a c.1910 dump on Mackinac Island, Michigan.

Any suggestions?

Lynn Evans
Mackinac State Historic Parks

ATOM RSS1 RSS2