HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2016 15:11:00 -0400
All,

We recovered slate pencils from a late 18th/ early 19th century site on
the coast of Maine and from a mid-19th century Moravian site in eastern
PA. At the latter site, one of the slate pencils was carved- to me it
looks roughly anthropomorphic (head, shoulders, waist). Slate pencils
are quite numerous at both sites.

Meg, A student of mine wrote an excellent paper on the topic last year
(bibliography is more than 2 pages long- extensive for an undergrad
paper). If you would like, email me off list and I will share her
contact information. Perhaps she would be willing to share.

Cheers,
Ben

On 4/19/2016 2:13 PM, Carl wrote:
> I too have found slate pencils and writing slates on a wide variety of
> sites in SC and NC, including sites occupied by African American
> slaves and Freedmen. Often the slates are scored like notebook paper.
> I use their presence on Af-Am sites to highlight the desire to learn
> to read and write, despite laws forbidding the practice.
>
> On 4/19/2016 2:05 PM, Martha Zierden wrote:
>> They are a regular find on sites in Charleston, SC.  They are more
>> common
>> in 19th century contexts, but some are recovered from late 18th century
>> deposits, as well.  A maximum length is 3"
>> Martha Zierden
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Keith Doms <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You can check various catalogs (Sears and Montgomery Wards) for
>>> prices and
>>> some description.  The 1902 Sears repro catalog omits the pencil
>>> pages but
>>> years ago Sears actually sent me a copy of them.  They sold cedar
>>> encased
>>> slate pencils at $.08/dozen.
>>>
>>> I recently found a 1 inch nub of a slate pencil with a grove carved
>>> around
>>> the base.   A worn out pencil that was once tied to something.   Mostly
>>> their presence is noted without much comment.
>>>
>>> Keith R. Doms
>>> Newlin Grist Mill
>>> Site Manager
>>> 219 S. Cheyney Rd.