From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2013 22:38:27 -0400
Hi Pamela!  Save your cyber-stamp; I can respond here, and also share your
comments with the rest of the ILCA Board.

ILCA and a producer of healthcare education have collaborated in the past
(twice before, I think) to prepare materials that are intended primarily
for USA-based in-hospital staff trainings.  For this new project, the
producer had certain requirements in the contract -- and the content expert
*they* sought was an RN IBCLC.  The listserv ILCA sent to its members about
this opportunity indicates that those who are interested should submit
their letter of interest directly to the production company.

ILCA is pleased that the production company recognizes that an IBCLC's
expertise should be prominently consulted and featured in a video intended
to teach healthcare providers about breastfeeding support. You and I both
know that one does not *have* to be an RN to work as an IBCLC in a
hospital.  We can also both recognize that a healthcare education producer
which serves a huge RN audience will also want those potential customers to
see "their" profession highlighted as well.

So, from ILCA's perspective, this is an opportunity to raise the profile of
ILCA and IBCLCs to the facilities and other healthcare professions to whom
the producer markets, an opportunity to have good evidence-based practice
written into the teaching script, an opportunity for a member to have a
significant writing project (paid!) to add to her C.V., and a chance to
provide a modest revenue stream via the licensing agreement from a source
that is *not* involved in pharmaceuticals or medical devices.

Many of ILCA's members are RN IBCLC; we are happy that they might be able
to offer their expertise to this project.  It does not diminish ILCA's
long-standing support for the IBCLC credential and profession (reflected
not only in those vision and mission statements you mention, but in our
Strategic Plan as well) to recognize that some employers or job
opportunities ask for other expertise.  Universities or colleges teaching
human lactation may require their professors to be PhD IBCLC; a public
health department might require an MPH IBCLC, and so on.

I hope I have offered some insight into why this opportunity was something
ILCA was comfortable in sharing with its members.

--
Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC, FILCA
Wyndmoor, PA, USA