Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2014 23:04:17 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
PLB said:

Despite the spate of studies on feeding bees syrup laced with poison, there is one study that nobody does (so far as I know). But has anyone bothered to collect the nectar and analyze it?

One of my colleagues is running this study on pollen and honey. This is an ongoing research project. Last meeting I attended last month the researcher presented data on pollen and showed very low levels below the lowest reported LD 50. Results for sure will be published by the end of the project. I believe that Jerry  Bromenshenk looked at neonics in canola nectar. He might add more info in response to your email.

Of course, we already know that honey bees thrive on neonic treated canola and other plants.

True, we have bees can make 100-150 lbs from Canola if the weather is conducive. By the way 80-90% of honey made in Canadian Prairie is from Canola. Most canola seed treated with Neonics.

Has anyone analyzed canola honey and/or fed it to bees?

No We have not  fed bees canola honey.

bees overwinter on canola!!!

We don't recommend wintering bees on canola honey due to crystallization. This type of honey becomes solid and hard like stones to feed on due to cold dry winters in the Prairie. We ask beekeepers to extract most or all canola honey and feed sugar syrup for wintering.

Medhat Nasr

Edmonton Alberta Canada

It is 30C (86F) today and quiet hot... I mean 30C above zero

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned

LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2