From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2014 23:22:44 -0400
> However, how can anyone prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that if we lose all pollinators, man will not be gone in, say, 10 years??

We have gone over this many times. First of all, there is no realistic scenario which would result in the eradication of all pollinators. Secondly, no one can prove the negative, especially in regard to the future. You can't prove something will never happen and you can't prove that anything will happen in the future.

But finally, there are plenty of foods that we could eat, we could live for centuries without animal pollinated crops. Mankind existed for hundreds of thousands of years before agriculture was even invented, as hunter gatherers. Eating wild game, acorns (wind pollinated), tubers, etc.

Even many of the insect pollinated fruits and vegetables have self pollinating varieties. In fact, a self-pollinating almond has already been developed. The whole "world without pollinators" is a paranoid fantasy dreamt up to scare people into action. Action is needed but it should be based upon understanding, concern and care for the living world -- not scare tactics.

PLB