Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2014 09:35:25 -0400
From:
littlewolfbees apis mellifera <[log in to unmask]>
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Randall Austin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 6/17/2014 12:07 PM, Jerry Bromenshenk wrote:
>
>> Can someone point me to the latest information on the initiative to
>> establish a National Honey Standard
>>

> Does this have the info you are looking for?
> http://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinf
> ormation/labelingnutrition/ucm389501.htm
>
> Sad story, the above is

In 2011 a colleague and I took on something similar here in Ontario
pertaining to labeling and first started with Codex Alimentarus
It was a quick learning experience, in that Codex internationally did exist
but here in Canada our version thereof was 30 years behind the times
and reading then that in the USA it was up to individual states to deal
with it in what ever manner. i.e accept or reject/ do their own version
Our paper submitted to the CFIA here   was titled
A position on Misleading Use of the word Pasteurization as it Pertains to
Honey
It is still not clear where honey sits.
My view point is that words such as raw and pasteurization are a disguise
and allow for possible adulteration
In Canada the CFIA controls labelling nationally and interprovincially and
the provinces each have their own labeling regs.
Sadly after the submission and the imminent gazetting an election put all
on the shelf and that's where it is.
Also, the provincial bee assoc backed us with a letter only to then get
involved with OMAF and new labeling standards but showed no leadership .
The word pasteurization still exists and continues to mislead. We could
have been a trend setter.

Codex states to the effect that no words on honey labels shall be misleading
Our  standards are confilicting although the labeling is regulated under
the ministry of food , in Ontario

Walter
littlewolfapiaries.com