ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2013 15:22:15 -0500

I think the best way to build a sense of urgency, to prompt a visit, is
"something new." It can be a new gallery, special exhibit, film, or
program, but if there is something new then that can prompt a visit
among repeat visitors. It may also give you something to promote in
newsletters, the regional press, and remind people that they haven't
visited in a while.

One thing to think about with traveling exhibitions and large-format
films is time of year and your attendance pattern. If you book a
blockbuster (and to some extent you can tell that from attendance at
other sites) make sure to book it for summer if that is the season you
are open the most hours and have highest week-day visitation. Booking it
in the fall with kids back in school and adults back at work can cut
into the number of possible visitors substantially. But . . . a special
exhibition may not substantially increase visitation if it is not a
"must see" and you have tourists and infrequent visitors--they want to
see your entire facility and may not take the time for a film or special
exhibition.

I'd like to hear people's experiences in building special audiences in
lower attendance times. For example, I really don't think you can
provide a good experience for seniors and stroller parents AT THE SAME
TIME. The_same spaces _will work, but putting those two audiences
together at the _same time_ has issues with sound levels, pacing through
spaces, and safety (those strollers get used like trucks and run over
people and older brothers and sisters zip right by people moving more
slowly and carefully). In evaluation studies, I've identified a
"children first" etiquette when children are present with adults (all
ages, not just seniors) being much more likely to use interactives when
children are NOT present. Families with children will always be one
important audience for science centers. Yet, with changing demographics,
if they are the ONLY audience considered then visitation will fall--to
use Marilyn's analogy, there are just not as many of those fish in the
pond as there used to be. We may need to think of ways to make science
center "adult friendly," not just in terms of content but in terms of
experience.

I agree with Marilyn that mining those attendance patterns and visitor
surveys to really understand what works with your own audience is
essential.

Carey

Carey Tisdal
Tisdal Consulting