HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matt Munro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2014 08:33:12 -0700

Greetings HistArch Members,

In 2011, and under the direction of fellow list member Laird Niven, I participated in the excavation of the Bellevue House. This building served many functions including the quarters of the Commandant of the British Military in Halifax, Nova Scotia, from circa 1801 to 1878. It was eventually demolished in 1955 and conveniently covered by a parking lot. Since the foundation was so beautifully preserved, including a late-phase concrete floor that capped the deposits in each room, we were able to collect artifacts very systematically. We also used a total station to record the foundation architecture with sub-cm accuracy, resulting in 1600 data points and over 700 photographs. The property was well-documented throughout its use including detailed photographs and plans readily available from the local archives and the military library at Citadel Hill.

Here is a link to a slideshow of our findings, including photographs of the house prior to its demolition and an image of our excavation plan:

http://www.halifaxcentrallibrary.ca/whats-happening/excavations-halifax-central/dig-gallery.html

And there are several newspaper articles like this one. The dig garnered quite a bit of local attention:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/archeologists-dig-up-mansion-to-reveal-halifaxs-royal-roots/article600813/

I'm wondering if list members have any experience or references regarding this style of colonial British military housing and architecture, or can suggest individuals who might. I'm in the very early stages of planning a paper on this site and I'm collecting sources to help identify an interesting and relevant topic or direction to write about. I have several ideas but I'm curious to see if there are any ongoing discussions or debates that this site can become part of.

As always, thanks for your interest.

- Matt Munro

Matthew Munro, BA, MA

Senior Archaeologist

Stantec

200 - 1719 10th Avenue SW Calgary AB T3C 0K1

Phone: (403) 806-1605

Cell: (403) 354-2374

Fax: (403) 244-4701