From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2014 17:33:24 -0800

> >Would a drone suffering dehydration/starvation end up with postmortem
> everted endophalluses?

I should have mentioned that these recreational and fairly experienced
beekeepers had been feeding their colonies both syrup and pollen supp.  I
have not visited the apiary myself, so can't confirm nutritional state.
 However, the presence of drones suggests that natural nutrition at their
site was good, as it has been in most of my yards.

It is the unusual eversion of the endophalluses (endophalli appears to be
also correct) that caught my attention.  I've heard reports of this
following exposure to clothianidin dust, but have never before noticed it
myself in dead drones.  Every one was everted.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA