ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathleen Vandiver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2013 15:19:50 +0000

 HI Everyone interested in teaching photosynthesis,

I have developed an Atoms and Molecules Set at MIT that we are using to teach abstract concepts in concrete ways in k-12 classes and at public events.  We have lesson series  on 1) photosynthesis, 2) climate change & air pollution, and 3) chemical reactions for this set.

Note that in photosynthesis lessons -- the key idea that the carbon atoms from the air become incorporated into the plant itself is often missed.  Teachers often emphasize that glucose is produced-- and this remains an unconnected fact. So the  full point is missed.   Using LEGO bricks as atoms (1 atom = 1 brick in the Std CPK color for each element) this lesson has the kids construct a glucose molecule from the LEGO carbon dioxide and water bricks.  In the following steps, they can build starch and cellulose polymers for the plant from these glucose molecules.  This is a quick overview of the lessons.

Photosynthesis is one part of the carbon-cycling climate change story which we need to teach well to the next generation.  This topic along with air pollution is my current passion.

Here is the URL for the curricula. http://edgerton.mit.edu/k-12/teacher-resources/k-12-materials/atoms-molecules-set
I have used these resources to run a  very successful booth at AAAS Family Days on "Understanding Air" in Boston.   Write me if you are interested in learning more about using this Atoms and Molecules set for climate change and air pollution, etc.   I am very  interested in creating a kit for this purpose.

thanks,
kathy vandiver, outreach director for the
MIT Center for Environmental Health Sciences