Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2014 17:47:29 -0500
From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
All

We're finishing a proposal due tomorrow (Monday) COB, Pacific Time.  We're proposing to take our bee mapping technologies to the corn field area near York, NE to image where bees near corn fields actually go, what floral resources they use, near or at time of planting.  We have data from that region for 30 fields from a previous study.  We don't know how likely it is that we might get this funded, but we should know by mid-March if it's a go.

Historically, the main planting window for York, Nebraska is April 10-May 10.  It can start earlier or run as late as May 25.  We would bring our instruments and people to run them to NE in early April, probably spend the month and into early May in the area.

We have some needs that perhaps someone(s) on this List could help us with.

1) 12 colonies of healthy bees.  We don't intend to put bees in drift zones, but we would like to find 12 colonies (three sets of 4 on pallets) that we could move about in the corn area.  We'd set down pallets of 4 colonies, then image bees in terms of where they go - we suspect from our previous data that given a choice, the bees will go to the more diverse vegetation, away from corn.

We realize there's some risk - so we'd both feed to the colonies enough to keep them nutritionally fit, and we'd purchase or RENT them for an appropriate fee.  Last time we brought our own colonies from MT - but we're likely to still be in snow by mid-April - we've blizzard conditions last 2 days in MT and an avalanche that destroyed a colleague's home, put him, his wife, and a young boy in the hospital.

In Nebraska, I'm looking for twelve 8-frame or stronger colonies to use for 4-6 weeks, depending on rain, etc.  With good weather, we might be done in 2 weeks.

2)  Place to safely store instruments and affordable lodging for up to 6 weeks (e.g., apartment or house?)

3) Local help in the research to conduct bee counts, floral diversity measurements, and assist with the Lasers.  We will always have 2 of our long-term employees on hand to run the two lasers, but we'd like 1-2 people to help out with the other aspects - high school kids, retiree's, volunteers?

If you can supply any of these, or provide a contact of someone who could, please contact me asap. I've got to submit this tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks   Jerry
406-544-9007

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert