HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"M. Chris Manning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2015 22:20:02 -0500
This is most likely evidence of a widespread folk practice in which a
horseshoe or other iron object, such as an edge tool, is secured to a
building or integrated into the structure itself to bring good luck and/or
protection to the house. Check out my recent article in the fall issue of
Historical Archaeology. I specifically discuss horseshoes on pages 72-73.

Manning, M. Chris. 2014. The Material Culture of Ritual Concealments in the
United States. Historical Archaeology 48(3):52-83.

I would be very interested in learning more about the details of this find
and seeing some photos. Please message me off list.

Chris

M. Chris Manning, M.A., M.S.H.P.