HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:03:55 -0400
Hi Ryan,

I would offer you the example of my favorite ethics activity when teaching students to think about these difficult issues.  Understand that I am an academic archaeologist that, when I can find time and support for my own research, studies the Mormon colonists of the American West.  When students work through ethical issues of questioning the relationship of archaeologists to descendant and stakeholder communities, I wait until they reach consensus after arguing through opinions about how archaeologists should collaborate.

Then I take their favorite essay, cross out all the references to whatever community the popular author uses in her or his case study, and replace it with "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," "President Monson/Prophet Monson," and "Mormon Church Leadership" as appropriate.  Then I ask the students to read the same argument and see how they like it.  The idea is to invert the perception of power relationships and see if the arguments stand up.

It makes for interesting follow up discussion!

Cheers,
Tim Scarlett