HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:03:55 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Hi Ryan,

I would offer you the example of my favorite ethics activity when teaching students to think about these difficult issues.  Understand that I am an academic archaeologist that, when I can find time and support for my own research, studies the Mormon colonists of the American West.  When students work through ethical issues of questioning the relationship of archaeologists to descendant and stakeholder communities, I wait until they reach consensus after arguing through opinions about how archaeologists should collaborate. 

Then I take their favorite essay, cross out all the references to whatever community the popular author uses in her or his case study, and replace it with "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," "President Monson/Prophet Monson," and "Mormon Church Leadership" as appropriate.  Then I ask the students to read the same argument and see how they like it.  The idea is to invert the perception of power relationships and see if the arguments stand up.

It makes for interesting follow up discussion!

Cheers,
Tim Scarlett

On Sep 25, 2012, at 2:20 AM, Ryan Kennedy wrote:

> Hello all,
> As part of an archaeological ethics course I have been asked to observe and/or participate in an ethical conversation on a listserv, forum, etc. I thought it could be interesting to poll Histarch with a simple, two-part question:
> 
> 1) What do you think is the single most important ethical concern for archaeologists today?
> 
> 2) Very briefly, how do you define yourself as an archaeologist? (ie what sector do you work in, etc.)
> 
> Your answers will be used only to stimulate discussion in class, and I won’t share any personal or identifying information. Also, please feel free to shoot me an email off-list if you would be more comfortable doing so.
> 
> Thanks in advance to those of you who respond,
> Ryan

ATOM RSS1 RSS2