ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:21:31 -0600

>I'm looking for interactive activities for an earth sciences program aimed at middle school students. Does anyone have any ideas they can share that cover the earth's core, earthquakes and/or volcanoes?

You can find a lot of Earth science-related lessons, resources, and activities at NASAWavelength.org.  NASA Wavelength is a digital collection of Earth and space science resources for educators. It is a fully-searchable online database of all NASA
Science Mission Directorate educational products and is searchable by audience type, grade level, topic, and keyword.  I just checked the database - we have 817 Earth science lessons and resources catalogued in Wavelength, currently (and that number
should go up because we add materials on a quarterly basis).

NASA Wavelength was developed by a team from the Space Sciences Laboratory and Lawrence Hall of Science at the University of California, Berkeley, the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (a.k.a., IGES), and the Adler Planetarium. The lessons
and other materials featured in Wavelength were developed by the education and public outreach programs from NASA's Science Mission Directorate spacecraft (e.g., Hubble, Chandra, GRACE, Aqua, Terra, GRAIL, the Mars rovers, IBEX, etc, etc., etc.), and all
of the materials in Wavelength are peer-reviewed.

There is also a portion of the site where all of the activities are mapped (where appropriate) to the AAAS Benchmarks for Science Literacy and the AAAS Atlas of Science Literacy (go to the tab on the homepage titled "Strandmaps").  If you want to go to
the Earth science-related maps and look for a relevant benchmark related to the topics you want to cover at the grade band you want to shoot for, click on it/them, and the resources in Wavelength that map to that benchmark will be linked.  You can also
see a number next to each of the benchmarks; that number tells you the number of resources that map to that benchmark in Wavelength, so you can get a sense of whether something is available or not based on that number. Also, recently, a cross-walk was
developed between the AAAS Benchmarks and the NGSS, and you can find those links in the benchmark tabs, as well.  It's not a full mapping of our resources to the NGSS, but it's a small start.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

http://www.nasawavelength.org

Michelle

Michelle Nichols, Master Educator - NASA Forum Programs
The Adler Planetarium
1300 S. Lake Shore Dr.
Chicago, IL  60605
312-322-0520