HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2014 18:13:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
Leo,
This article from Northeast Historical Archaeology might be of interest. You can download the article at the link below.
Sue

Towards An Archaeology of the Hudson River Ice Harvesting Industry
Wendy Elizabeth Harris
Arnold Pickman
Abstract
During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, natural ice cut from the Hudson River provided the New York City metropolitan area with much of its supply. This article briefly examines the history and technology of this industry, and its impact on local workers, commuities, and landscapes. The documentary history and visible remains of three ice house sites are analyzed, with ice house technology viewed as an integrated system of production and transportation. Results suggest that archaeological examination of such sites can be used to study variations in ice industry technology and reveal features not mentioned in the documentary record. Aerial photography and shoreline reconnaissance indicate that archaeological remains of many Hudson River ice houses are still preserved. These should be studied before they are destroyed by development.
Recommended Citation

http://digitalcommons.buffalostate.edu/neha/vol29/iss1/4/

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Leo Demski
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2014 4:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Icehouse/ice harvesting literature?

Hey everyone-  I'm working on a literature review regarding icehouses and the western US ice harvesting industry of the middle 1800s- early 1900s.  There's quite a bit of historical data available, as well as several historian analyses of various aspects of the ice industry, but the amount of archaeological literature I've been able to find has been slim. Can anyone recommend any reports or articles?  I'm particularly interested in the larger industrial landscape of ice harvesting, but any aspect of ice use, harvesting tools, storage, icehouses or related structures, "ties" to railroads, associated architectural design, industrial technology, etc from any geographic location would be welcome. 

The few North American sources I've found include an article by Jerry Hilliard about an icehouse in Arkansas and Pierre Beaudet's description of the Quebec ice industry as detailed in Under the Boardwalk in Québec City.  I have seen icehouse excavation mentioned in passing in other sources (including Deetz' Flowerdew Hundred), but it appears mostly to emphasize reuse as large trash pits, rather than focus on their original use as ice storage areas.

Any suggestions, thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,
-Leo Demski
MA student
University of Nevada, Reno

ATOM RSS1 RSS2