HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Maguire, Susan E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2014 18:13:56 -0500
Leo,
This article from Northeast Historical Archaeology might be of interest. You can download the article at the link below.
Sue

Towards An Archaeology of the Hudson River Ice Harvesting Industry
Wendy Elizabeth Harris
Arnold Pickman
Abstract
During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, natural ice cut from the Hudson River provided the New York City metropolitan area with much of its supply. This article briefly examines the history and technology of this industry, and its impact on local workers, commuities, and landscapes. The documentary history and visible remains of three ice house sites are analyzed, with ice house technology viewed as an integrated system of production and transportation. Results suggest that archaeological examination of such sites can be used to study variations in ice industry technology and reveal features not mentioned in the documentary record. Aerial photography and shoreline reconnaissance indicate that archaeological remains of many Hudson River ice houses are still preserved. These should be studied before they are destroyed by development.
Recommended Citation

http://digitalcommons.buffalostate.edu/neha/vol29/iss1/4/