HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2013 23:29:49 -0400
From:
Thomas Beaman <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:

Hello HISTARCHers,

This email is to remind you that on Friday, September 20, and Saturday, September 21, the Southeastern Conference on Historic Sites Archaeology will be held at Fort Caswell on Oak Island in North Carolina.

This conference was originally started by Stanley South in 1960 as a way for archaeologists who work on historic sites to get together and share ideas, recent discoveries, and current research towards building American historical archaeology as a formal topical discipline.  It ran until 1982.  However, with South's blessing, last year the conference was revived and was held Charleston, South Carolina.  Jim McKee (Brunswick Town State Historic Site), Shannon Walker (also of Brunswick Town State Historic SIte), and I volunteered to host this year's meeting.

This second series of Historic Sites Archaeology conferences are being held in the same spirit as the originals were.  There is a single session of 15 minute papers, with a period of 5 minutes of discussion or questions to follow each.  The emphasis is again on sharing ideas, discoveries, and current research.  There is no professional organization to join, and there is only a small, nominal fee for registration to cover the costs of the coffee and soft drinks.  And, of course, no coats or ties will be allowed!

Last year in Charleston, approximately 70-80 historical archaeologists from North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, northern Florida, and eastern Tennessee attended either one or both days.  We are expecting the same attendance this year.

I am letting you know in case any of you have an interest in attending and learning about the current focus of archaeology being conducted on historic sites in the Southeastern United States.  We have a terrific lineup of papers, including a symposium on geophysical research on historic sites, papers on South Carolina ceramics, and presentations of recent research on sites that Stanley South initially defined.

Registration for the conference is now open.  Information can be found at the conference's website at http://www.sechsa.org .  The list of papers and events is included under the 'Schedule' tab, and the form to register is under the 'Registration' tab.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or would like more information on the conference itself.  I hope to see some of you at this year's Southeastern Conference on Historic Sites Archaeology.

Cheers,
Tom Beaman
Program Chair, 2013 SECHSA