Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 08:43:37 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

My apologies if I jumped in too hot on this story before knowing more details. 

But is it correct to say that the new business model for the E is "design and fabrication"?  

Erich Rose

Erich Rose Design
Austin, TX 

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2013, at 7:45 AM, Mac Sudduth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> When Frank was at the Exploratorium there were layoffs when needed.  The Exploratorium weathered those and some were more dire.   Now that they are a major presence not only in the world but on the waterfront they will get more attention.   Since I don't live in San Francisco I may have missed all the newspaper articles on how the Exploratorium helped start science centers all over the world or how anyone in the field takes notice of what they are doing.
> 
> Nonprofits all face the challenge of making budget.  Since the move is a major change I am not surprised that there were some unforeseen outcomes.
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rachel Hellenga
> Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2013 1:34 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Exploratorium cuts 18% of staff as attendance lags
> 
> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> I second Alan's comments about the difficulty of predicting these things. I have seen the hassles associated with "under building" instead of over building. Within one year of opening, the Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center had to turn away school groups and/or carry out elaborate choreographed, timed tours to get students through the gallery tours during peak times. And she shortage of space resulted in banishing the Education & Development Departments to a different building separated from the main facility--not great considering Chicago weather.
> 
> It's also hard to get the staffing levels right. That first year after opening, everything is crazy and the people on staff are all run ragged, but yo
For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2