From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 10:09:32 +1000
But this is the thing. Women who end up having IGT would have liked to have known beforehand. But an essential diagnostic criteria of IGT is that the woman involved is unable to make sufficient milk. So diagnosis of IGT after a previous birth is possible but not for a first because women can have physical characteristics that may be typical of IGT but have no problems. We simply do not know enough about IGT to be able to predict who will have problems with milk supply and who not before it actually happens. Anticipatory guidance is vital, close follow up of any woman who has red flags is also. In settings where this is not possible, there is a real problem.
Karleen Gribble
Australia