From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 21:13:00 -0400
A few suggestions:

1)  Go visit another beekeeper with a refractometer, and compare yours with
his.
2)  If your readings differ, you need either a 3rd beekeeper, or you can
punt with Plan B
3)  Schedule a calibration party at the next club meeting for more data
points. Someone may have calibration fluid.

Plan B is to buy a squeeze bear of Golden Blossom, Billy Bee, Sioux Bee, or
other product of a massive blending/mixing operation.  There is no way that
this honey will be "too wet", and if it were too dry, they would bring the
moisture back up to as wet as possible without risk of fermentation to use
up the slightly "too wet" honey they have.  Whatever that honey reads has to
be within 1% of spec.

Olive Oil does not, to my knowledge, have consistent water content across
brands.

Once calibrated, engrave a small tic mark aligned with the orientation slot
of the calibration screw.  I've checked my calibration several times, and
never needed to change it from where Ann Harmon (a honey show judge) showed
me it belonged years ago.