From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:34:07 -0300
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM, randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Now you may be starting to stretch a bit far.  In the first place, there
> were zero detections of clothianidin or its metabolites (I checked with the
> author of the survey).  I've discussed this data in my latest article.

Clothianidin was granted an unconditional registration for use as a seed
treatment for corn and canola in April 2010.  I wonder how much of the seed
treatment had changed from imidacloprid to clothianidin in 2011? If not
much had changed then that would explain the zero detections.

** If ** a large proportion HAD changed over in 2011, and imidacloprid was
the most deadly insecticide detected (in terms of number of detections X
amount X LD50) and clothianidin was zero detected, then we have two
possible scenarios that come to my mind:

1.  As Bob keeps indicating Florida use on citrus may be a prime culprit.
I wonder if you could check with the author as to whether there was any
pattern to which parts of the country had imidacloprid positives.

2.  We might be seeing the effects of 16 years of use of imidacloprid and
the expression of soil residues.  The newness of clothianidin in that
scenario might explain the zero detections.

Perhaps you have another explanation.  I am keeping an open mind.  I did
not think imidacloprid was foliar sprayed that much anymore, but apparently
it is in Japan according to other post today.  Forestry uses are quite
widespread.
Stan