From:
Shanti Volpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2013 20:50:15 +0000
I worked with a mother this weekend who has a 5-week old in the NICU born at 28 weeks gestation. She discovered mold growing in her breast pump parts yesterday. She did not know that she was supposed to separte the parts for cleaning. The mother was given a new pump kit. She reported to me today that she discovered that the pump kit she uses at home also has mold in it. She described the mold as being green and fuzzy. She has not cleaned her pump parts properly in 5 weeks. Does she need to dump all of her milk? How long does it take for mold to grow? What harmful affects would there be for baby? I recommended that she use freesh milk first and then the oldest milk to supplement baby until I get an answer about the safety of the rest of her milk. She is currently making about 15mls per hour and the baby is now taking 39 mls per feed. Any information would be appreciated.
Shanti Volpe, RN, IBCLC