From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2013 22:29:57 -0400
Decent behaviour is admirable, but I don’t know if I’d call it breathtaking and audacious.

Monsanto has a public image problem -  like Darth Vader had a public image problem. Remember, this is the company that had to publicly deny they were trying to develop a termination gene in seeds. Why did they have to publicly deny this? Because somehow a rumour got started they were working on just such a gene, and given Monsanto’s track record, everyone figured the rumour was true.

You may argue that Darth Vader was misunderstood and did the right thing in the end, but he was pretty nasty for much of his life. At one point he was even building a death star - or audaciously working for a guy who was building a death star. If, during that period in his life, he had suddenly started cozying up to bees and beekeepers, I’d suspect his motives. I’d be thinking: “why does he suddenly want to be my friend when he is building a death star?”  But after reading the discussion here, I suppose I should also wonder if I was misinformed about the death star.

My concern is that Monsanto’s products improve efficiency in agriculture while sacrificing resilience. And their products have created vast monocultures of corn and soybeans, making it more difficult for bees to thrive and produce a crop of honey.

Ted