ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 07:19:28 -0700

Here's a great rendition of the effect of a science center on a broader community.  Clearly, it's teacher to teacher communication at heart with a wonderfully essential by-product student learning.  Have a look at the video.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [Pinhole] An Exploratorium at your school
> Date: June 5, 2013 7:39:58 PM PDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
>    I have always had Exploratorium Envy, thinking how great it would be to bring all my classes to the museum almost every day…..that’s not going to happen, but I tried the next best thing which is to make a small Exploratorium at my school.  It works real great!  I have been working with an elementary level teacher and set up 4 different “museums” this past year: general science, earth and space, life, and energy.  Each of these set -ups had about a dozen displays and self guided activities for our K-5 kids. This project has been hugely successful at my school and has generated its own future.  It required an unused classroom, a small budget, time, a workshop, and a lot of Exploratorium snacks and ideas. (Thanks guys!)   It has spawned a renewed focus on science in my entire school community; it has created a class for high school students where they build science displays and teach small children; it has made a rock star out of the physics teacher and given him good job security.    Visit utube for a brief overview:   http://youtu.be/ykwceUapiGQ.  A detailed look at all the stuff appears on our school website www.Seacrest.org go to Academics/Our Elementary Program/Stem Discovery Room.
>
> John Fuller
> Physics
> Seacrest School, Naples FL    "where it's always summer"
>

> --

Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist | Teacher Institute

http://blogs.exploratorium.edu/whyintercept/
Twitter: @charliec53
email: [log in to unmask]
Tel:   415-528-4319
Fax:  415-885-6011
exploratorium.edu
facebook.com/exploratorium twitter.com/exploratorium
The Embarcadero, Piers15 & 17
S.F., CA 94111