HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Charles H. Fithian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2013 09:01:33 +0000
Anne,
Sounds like an interesting case. As others have pointed out, the practice has been documented in a number of areas, including the mid-Atlantic region. There is one from here in Delaware that was actually found
in a public building!

As to dating the shoes, I suggest you contact Al Saguto at Colonial Williamsburg. He is one of the leading authorities on historic footwear and its evolution. He would be able to give you an idea of the
date range(s) of the shoes. He has also worked on other cache's of ritually concealed shoes, and is familiar with this practice.

Were the shoes worn before being concealed?

Chuck Fithian