Reply To:
Pat Garrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 14:59:16 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (84 lines)
I helped arrange the SHA meetings for a number of years and there are a things about the meetings that need to be understood. I agree that it is expensive to attend an SHA meeting and everyone cannot afford to go. At the same time, the meetings are large enough that our size and the numbers of papers given restrict where we can meet to large hotels with lots of meeting space (meaning fairly expensive conference hotels). The SHA has done quite a bit over the years to assist students (and others) attending meetings by offering a change to volunteer for a day at the meeting to get free registration in return. When we met in Jamaica enough contribiutions were pulled together to give free lodging for close to 100 students. Another thing we do to cut down the cost of the meeting is to schedule the meeting at a time of year when there is a low demand for rooms at the very types of hotels we need to hold our meetings. Compare the room rates between SHA and SAA and you will see quite a difference. 

I understand that salaries in archaeology are lower than in many other fields. Salaries have improved over the past couple of decades and should improve more in the future. There is no way that an annual meeting can be planned at a low enough cost of accomodate everyone. That is simply a fact we have to acknowledge and live with.

Pat Garrow

-----Original Message-----
>From: "Moss, William" <[log in to unmask]>
>Sent: May 15, 2013 10:56 AM
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Why YOU should come to SHA Quebec 2014 - FINANCIAL SUPPORT
>
>Conrad,
>
>Please read the texts concerning the financial support programs, which do NOT concern volunteer activities during the conference. As is generally done by the SHA, and with great success, there will be a session organized specifically for the general public, free of charge. This public session will be widely publicized in the local media, generating a  positive image for archaeology and a warm welcome for SHA and ACUA conference attendees. We hope that some conference participants will be available for meetings with the local media, especially attendees who can speak the native tongue of the local population, Québécois (OK, it's really French!).
>
>
>William Moss MA, FSA, RPA
>Archéologue principal
>Design, Architecture et Patrimoine  |  Aménagement du territoire  |  Ville de Québec  |  295, boulevard Charest Est  |  Québec  (Québec)  G1K 3G8  |  Téléphone : 418.641.6411, poste 2149  |  Télécopie : 418.641.6455  |  
>[log in to unmask]  |  www.ville.quebec.qc.ca  |  www.ovpm.org/fr/canada/quebec
>
>
>-----Message d'origine-----
>De : HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de sent
>Envoyé : 15 mai 2013 10:50
>À : [log in to unmask]
>Objet : Re: Why YOU should come to SHA Quebec 2014 - FINANCIAL SUPPORT
>
>How substantial is this?
>Do they have all expenses covered?
>Are they free to attend all sessions or is this work study (which I found when a student to mean you work during the more interesting sessions) thanks for the contribution What about admission for the general public-is admission at or below say a movie cost?
>
>Conrad
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Moss, William
>Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:36 AM
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Why YOU should come to SHA Quebec 2014 - FINANCIAL SUPPORT
>
>Mr. Cook,
>
>Please note that the SHA and the ACUA have several financial support programs to help students attend the conference.
>
>Have a look at the 2014 conference web page -- http://www.sha2014.com/support.html -- and a recent blog on the SHA web page -- http://www.sha.org/blog/index.php/2013/04/support-for-students-at-the-2014-conference/
>
>
>William Moss
>Conference Chair    /   47th  Conference on Historic and Underwater 
>Archaeology
>Président du Comité organisateur   /   47e Colloque sur l'archéologie 
>historique et subaquatique
>www.sha2014.com
>
>
>
>-----Message d'origine-----
>De : HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de David L Cook Envoyé : 15 mai 2013 10:05 À : [log in to unmask] Objet : Re: Why YOU should come to SHA Quebec 2014
>
>I lament the elite nature of our discipline. As a graduate student with small children and a partner who works full time I can barely afford to attend my local grocery store, much less a conference in Canada. As much as I would love to attend an SHA conference, or any archaeological conference, and as useful as it would be
>
>Best,
>David L Cook
>
>On May 14, 2013, at 9:17 PM, "Moss, William" 
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> See the Society for Historical Archaeology’s latest blog, “Why YOU 
>> should come to Quebec in 2014”
>> http://www.sha.org/blog/index.php/2013/05/why-you-should-come-to-quebe
>> c-in-2014/
>>