From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2013 10:03:51 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends:

When I worked in labor and delivery, I heard mothers rejecting their
newborns saying things like, "eeuw, take it away",  and  "gross" .

 How would the human race have survived if new mothers rejected their
young?

Is a mother rejecting her baby when she isn't ready to give birth (when
labor is induced) a sign of her lack of readiness? We know that
consequences of induction included a premature baby and better chance of
retained placental fragments (because the placenta isn't ready to
detach). Is  rejection of the newborn a consequence of technologically
driven birth?  believe so.

How can a mother feel safe to open and receive her baby when she is
surrounded by strangers and machines? Labor is disrupted in all other
species when it occurs in zoos....humans are mammals and react as any other
mammal would to stress. Interruption and interference in labor is perceived
as a threat and keeps sympathetic nervous system hormones activated,
interfering with calm, content and embracing the newborn.

What do you all think?

warmly,

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Author:* Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Breastfeeding Therapy*
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com
https://www.facebook.com/nikkileehealth