From:
Joan Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2013 21:29:40 +1300
Hello All,
All the posts so far have been partially correct about Sir Truby King.
Truby King was the founder of a society that still provides support for mothers. The Royal New Zealand Plunket society was started in 1907 and 105 years later has 183 clinics and about 23 day stay Family Centers. Along with numerous community services including Parent Education, Car Seat rentals, Coffee groups, Toy Libraries to name a few, it provides Well Child Services, from birth to 5 years, for 90% of New Zealand children.
Yes he did teach scheduled parenting but but that was the norm for the time. I understand there is someone in either the USA or Britain who is still teaching his philosophy long after we have moved away from the dogmatic adherence to scheduling.
The area I work in is waiting to see if we have achieved BFCI accreditation.
I am a Plunket Nurse andIBCLC  working  as an LC both in the community and in the Family Centre.
There is lots of information on www.plunket.org.nz
Regards
Joan Miller RN,RM,PN, IBCLC