ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:54:01 -0700

Additionally, there's a nice article in Science covering the President's speech to the NAS on its 150th anniversary.  He stoutly defends the current peer review process and attacks the pending legislative proposal from the House Subcommittee on science.  The Science article give a link to some of the targeted, recently funded grants.

The tenor of the congressional investigation helps to provide some insight into some of the more recent changes and new directions at NSF and elsewhere across the Federal funding landscape.

This congressionally lead attack is a witch-hunt that needs to be taken seriously.  We've collectively felt the first effects. Tragically, nickel and diming science funding and informal science education funding isn't going to have much of an impact on the underlying Federal fiscal mess, but it can certainly do lots of damage to some really valuable programs.

These opinions are mine, and don't represent institutional policy or views.

Sent from Charlie Carlson's iPad
Cell 510-499-8086
Try me on Skype (510) 984-3543