HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 21:19:31 -0400
The following 1767 advertisement for mending china and other items may be
of interest.  There are other advertisements for mending with staples, but
this one seems different.

            “Maria Warwell, Intending shortly to depart this province, ….
And while she waits for a passage, will be much obliged to those who will
employ her, in mending in the neatest and most durable manner, all sorts of
useful and ornamental China, viz: beakers, Tureens, jars, vases, busts;
statues, either in china, glass, plaster, bronze or marble; should a piece
be wanting, she will substitute a composition in its room, and copy the
pattern as night as possible.  N.B. She lives near Mrs. White’s house on
the Hard, Trott’s Point.”

From the *South Carolina Gazette & Country Journal*, July 21, 1767.  extracted
by

Alfred Cox Prime, compiler

1929    *The Arts and Crafts in Philadelphia, Maryland and South
Carolina*published by the Walpole Society, Philadelphia.
Page 128.

Peace,
George L. Miller