From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2013 09:26:27 -0400
> I've asked Tom Seeley, Nick Calderone, and Pete Borst, but none of them had a definitive answer.

I don't recall being asked this question. The lesser wax moth is a minor pest, so it is possible no one has bothered to look into this.

> Achroia grisella.
> The larvae of the Lesser Wax Moth are probably hardy, but were not tested under the most severe conditions. Although it is distributed throughout the Old World (Corbet & Tarns, 1943), it may presumably survive the winter in bee-hives without necessarily being able to withstand the outside temperatures.

The Powers of Survival of Storage and Domestic Pests under Winter Conditions in Britain
M. E. Solomon and Betty E. Adamson, Bulletin of Entomological Research / Volume 46 / Issue 02 / August 1955,
pp 311-355