ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Dickow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:59:02 -0700

hi,

I'm also sorry to be late to the party. For roughly the past year, chemists
from Caltech and the Westside Science Club, a club I founded for
under-resourced kids in LA, have been partnering up to develop and deliver
hands-on chemistry activities to Science Club participants. The project is
supported by a grant from the NSF and one of the things we're looking at is
how the Caltech scientists can effectively talk about chemistry to the
kids, who range in age from 8-13. Our idea is that if these scientists can
talk to real 10-12 year olds, they can apply that language to the general
public, to whom we usually deliver content at a 10-12 year old level.

We're still taking data and are gearing up for our Year 2, but I'd be happy
to talk about what we've been finding out.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Dickow
310-614-6048