ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mac Sudduth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2013 09:40:19 -0400

Families are my largest source of visitation.  My experience with families that come is that often a family has a self-appointed, designated reader who may  read the text out loud even if no one else wants to hear it.  From days interning at the Exploratorium I found that visits to our "libraries of exhibits and experiences" is about freedom.  I would prefer to have  text that visitors can read or not.  It's their choice and the essence of informal education.  The more you reduce the copy the less freedom you are allowing them.  Now we have even better opportunities to provide content to those who want more, especially those who have hand held devices.

School groups are a different audience and that's why we try to do something before they come and something after they come.  But even with kids running through the exhibits, they have the freedom and we have the duty to provide enough exhibits in our library that there is one or more that calls to them.   If there is one that gets them thinking or asking and trying to answer the what if question then that validates what we do.   I don't go to the library to read every book in one trip and indeed I avoid those on tax law-but a good library has many choices and so does a good science center.