HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2014 22:41:23 -0400
Craig,

I find your project on ceramics that are marked for institutions that are
recovered at a distance from those institutions interesting.  Back in the
early 1970s a bowl from the Atlantic Lunch in Washington D.C. was recovered
from the excavation of Tabbs Purchase in St. Mary's City, Maryland which
was sixty miles from that restaurant.  Oral History showed a community
connection between the Atlantic Lunch and St. Mary's County.  My article
"Ode to a Lunch Bowl: The Atlantic Lunch as an interface between St. Mary's
County, Maryland and Washington D.C." was published in the 1986 volume
of *Northeast
Historical Archaeology* Volume 13, pages 2-8.  This article can be
downloaded for free from the web site of the Council for Northeast
Historical Archaeology.

There is another situation where institutional vessels may be recovered a
long distance from the intended use.  We lived in Roebling, New Jersey from
1995 to 2008.  Roebling is 15 miles south of Trenton, New Jersey that had a
massive pottery industry that made a lot of hotelwares.  My wife, Amy C.
Earls, began collecting these wares from the local flea markets and antique
shops.  Many of these wares were from hotels in New York, Florida,
Massachusetts and other places.  A number of them have slight defects that
meant they were seconds.  When an intuition placed an order for wares with
their crest, the pottery company would produce more vessels that ordered,
so that the order would only be filled with perfect wares.  Those that were
less than perfect wound up in the local communities around the potteries
and would have been available at a lower cost.  Hope this helps.

Peace,

George L. Miller