Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:07:17 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (84 lines)
That's the problem, I looked for buckets.

Keith R. Doms
Newlin Grist Mill 
Site Manager
219 S. Cheyney Rd.
Glen Mills, PA  19342
(610) 459-2359
[log in to unmask]
-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Niki Kimball
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Buckets / Pails

Hi all,

I checked both the 1895 Montgomery Ward and Sears catalogs under pails and found on p. 431 in Wards a galvanized iron water pail (12 and 14 quart size), and in Sears on p. 133 a similar galvanized pail (10, 12, or 14 quart size).

Monique E. Kimball
[log in to unmask]

From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keith Doms
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:25 AM

The 1900 Fall Sears, Roebuck catalog has enameled buckets but not galvanized buckets.

Keith R. Doms
Newlin Grist Mill 
Site Manager
219 S. Cheyney Rd.
Glen Mills, PA  19342
(610) 459-2359
[log in to unmask]
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Harding Polk
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 7:09 PM

I don't know of any dating sources, but you might try looking in old Sears, Roebuck or Montgomery Ward catalogs to see if they are listed.  I just looked in the 1902 and they advertise galvanized water pails in 10, 12, 14 quart sizes or galvanized stock pails in 16 or 20 quart sizes.  The illustration is not very clear.  

Harding Polk II
[log in to unmask]

To: HISTARCH <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, Mar 10, 2014 4:49 pm
Subject: Buckets / Pails

Hi HISTARCH,

Does anyone know of any sources on identifying and/or dating metal buckets / pails? The galvanized metal bucket is a common artefact type on some historic sites, but I have never come across any references that might help with dating them.

Perhaps there is a general source out there that discusses a potential introduction date for the galvanized metal bucket?

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian Myers, PhD
Archaeologist
AMEC Environment & Infrastructure
Office 604-295-8259, Mobile 604-219-8405 Reception 604-294-3811, Fax 604-294-4664 Suite 600, 4445 Lougheed Highway, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, V5C 0E4 [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
amec.com<http://www.amec.com>

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. 
Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. 
If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. 
If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2