HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2013 11:12:28 +1030
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (75 lines)
Daniel,
This more elaborate use of patent information in archaeology is exactly the sort of texts I am trying to find, I really appreciate the assistance.
Regards,Mark

> Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 13:03:02 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Post-Nineteenth Century Assemblages with Patented artefacts
> To: [log in to unmask]
> 
> Mark, 
> 	I actually used patent information found online from Australia's own patent office, since they had the only info I could find on a particular object I found buried a couple of feet down in sediment in Elliott County, Kentucky. The information showed clearly that the object I had found (an embossed aluminum disk from a company that manufactured men's clothing accessories) post-dated 1968. So - thanks for that! 
> 
> 	The best use of patent information I've seen generally has been associated with historic cemetery excavation, with a specific example being Mainfort and Davidson's 2006 report "Two Historic Cemeteries in Crawford County, Arkansas" (Arkansas Archaeological Survey Research Series No. 62. James Davidson's patent research on historic period coffin hardware and coffins themselves is fantastic. Check his MA and PhD as well. As someone who bumps into historic cemetery relocations on a regular basis (going out to look at two cemeteries today), I doff my chapeau to Dr. Davidson on a regular basis.
> 
> Daniel B. Davis
> Archaeologist Coordinator
> Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
> Division of Environmental Analysis
> 200 Mero Street
> Frankfort, KY 40622
> (502) 564-7250
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Hoey
> Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:17 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Post-Nineteenth Century Assemblages with Patented artefacts
> 
> Thanks for replying Monique,
> At the moment I am simply trying to compile a list of archaeological texts that, to some degree, reference original letters patents in artefact analysis or site interpretation, ultimately I am looking at how patent information is utilised by historical archaeologists (thus your reports would be relevant to what I'm looking for). I understand the request potentially encompasses an enormous breadth of work, but that may be more beneficial to me than not.
> 
> Regards,Mark
> 
> > Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 01:01:32 +0000
> > From: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Re: Post-Nineteenth Century Assemblages with Patented artefacts
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > 
> > Mark,
> > 
> > I have included US patent information (utility and design) from the late 19th and 20th centuries in several reports (survey and mitigation/excavation).  What type of information are you looking for in particular?
> > 
> > Monique
> > 
> > Monique E. Kimball, M.A., RPA
> > Kautz Environmental Consultants, Inc.
> > 1140 Financial Blvd., Suite 100
> > Reno, NV  89502
> > (775) 829-4411
> > e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Hoey
> > Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 4:12 PM
> > Subject: Re: Post-Nineteenth Century Assemblages with Patented artefacts
> > 
> > Edit: I should clarify, I am seeking post-nineteenth century sites and assemblages, not texts written from that time period.
> > 
> > From: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Post-Nineteenth Century Assemblages with Patented artefacts
> > Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 10:39:55 +1030
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > Good Morning,
> > Apologies in advance for the rather vague request, but I am seeking recommendations on post-nineteenth century reports/texts that specifically reference patented artefacts and materials within a site. I am not necessarily phased on the volumes of the objects themselves, but simply that references are made to the letters patent in the report (used for dating, identification, etc.). Ideally these would relate to Australian sites; however, the absence of such reports has made me widen my parameters. I would greatly appreciate any and all assistance people can offer.
> > Regards,Mark 		 	   		   		 	   		  
>  		 	   		  

ATOM RSS1 RSS2