ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2013 16:21:57 -0500
7bit
From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>

and a few more links to two comprehensive sites with many
earthquake-related activities for different grade levels:

NEES (Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation- an amazing network
of 14 research sites in the United States with equipment to test 50-foot
long pipes, shake bridges and buildings, "thump" soil, a tsunami
research facility, ..) has many links for activities, in a chart that
includes age and national science standards for each activity:

    http://nees.org/education/for-teachers/k12-teachers/

NEES site includes instructions for building your own "shoebox seismometer":
    http://nees.org/resources/2818

USGS (United States Geological Survey) has a website page "Earthquake
Topics for Education," where you can click on links to activities for
elementary, middle school, high school, or college ages. Once you choose
an age range, you can also search within the lists for specific topics.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/

USGS (United States Geological Survey) has many different activities for
kids, including a long list of "Learning Links and Earthquake
Activities," puzzles and animations:
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/kids/

We developed five short (~ 1 1/2 minute long) award-winning videos on
earthquakes and engineering for our traveling exhibition "When the Earth
Shakes" that are all on youtube:

What Does Happen in an Earthquake?
What Makes the Earth Shake?
Engineers Working to Make Us Safer