HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dessa Lightfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2015 10:05:09 -0400
Hi, everyone!

I hope you are all doing well!  Jenna Carlson and I are putting out a call
for people interested in participating in a zooarch methods-themed poster
session for the SHAs.

We are putting together a poster session entitled "Reimagining Methods in
Historical Zooarchaeology."  The general theme of this session is current
zooarchaeological methods as used in your research and any current
methodological debates occurring in the field of historical zooarchaeology
that you're interested in exploring.  We also greatly encourage anyone
doing work on applications of new technologies on zooarchaeological
research, or people using zooarchaeological methods in innovative ways-even
if you're not specifically using them to look at faunal remains.  We are
excited to expose the general archaeological community to something beyond
the same tired debate over NISP vs MNI, and want to focus on how people are
using zooarch methods now!  We felt that a poster session, rather than an
oral presentation session, would be the best way to present this type of
information and encourage methodological conversations amongst historical
zoo archaeologists.

After contacting the SHA Program Chair, this is the strategy we have
developed: currently, the SHA has no way of submitting themed poster
sessions using the online application.  However, if you are interested in
participating in our session, please contact us as soon as possible with an
abstract so we can gauge interest and topics.  For submission, when
developing the title for your poster abstract, please start the title with,
"Reimagining Methods in Historical Zooarchaeology:" then you can add
whatever you specific title or subject to be.  This way, our posters will
all be sorted into the same session.  Then, submit your poster abstract
individually, just as you would if you were presenting in a general poster
session.  Once everyone has submitted their abstracts, we will notify the
program chair with the names of all of the presenters to ensure that we
will be in the same poster session.  Do not forget that abstracts are due
by Tuesday, June 30th.

We really hope that you will join us!!!  If you have any questions, just
let me or Jenna know!

Jenna [log in to unmask]
Dessa [log in to unmask]

Dessa E. Lightfoot