HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matt Munro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2013 15:56:48 -0600
George,

Thanks for the quick response. I've downloaded the shape guide and it seems that I'll have to keep my terms descriptive rather than prescriptive!

Since I'm sure many of the members of this list would not balk at a bit more information, the assemblage contained over two hundred ceramic vessels, of which 41 have the same brown annular design (which is how I'm generally referring to this design - if this is wholly wrong, someone please let me know). What makes these objects very interesting is that they were manufactured by at least three different companies from the late-1820s to the mid-1830s including the majority by Herculaneum and the rest by Spode and Rogers. Herculaneum Pottery Company (1796-1840), located in Liverpool and having an easier time exporting wares overseas compared to the inland potteries at Stoke, set up a warehouse where companies like Spode and Rogers sent articles to be placed on display. So connections existed beyond simply copying each others designs.

We also found at least one locally-produced ointment bottle from the early 1860s within the assemblage, which, in association with the fire insurance plans, deed transfers, and city directories for the property, represents the likely time frame in which the artifacts were deposited. It took about 30 years for these objects to go from being manufactured to being thrown down the privy, which lines up pretty well with Adams (2003) thoughts on ceramic time lag.

So, Herculaneum pottery represents is a great little case study to highlight some interesting things about ceramic import, use, and deposition in mid-19th century Halifax. It also provides a commentary on what evidence we have available in Halifax and what we could do to make the integration of historical and archaeological data easier and more rewarding in the future.

If anyone has any regional experience with Herculaneum pottery, I would be very curious to hear about it. Two very useful publications on Herculaneum, one by Hyland (2005) and one by Smith (1970) both use shipping records to show that these wares were distributed throughout the commonwealth in respectable numbers.

Cheers,

Matt Munro