HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Stottman, Michael J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:08:41 +0000
We use an activity where kids make their own artifact that they can take home with them, which helps clearly distinguishes artifacts recovered from an excavation and artifacts that they make and are theirs for the kids during the archaeology program.  We have great success with this.  However, it is most important to contextualize the activity as to how it relates to what we do and learn about and from artifacts.  All the activities need to connect to each other and their goals for educating kids about our message (whatever that is) and how archaeology can be used to teach them about a variety of non-archaeological topics.  It is great that kids will have a great time, but there need to be very clear and reasonable goals for doing the program and subsequent evaluation process to measure if those goals were met and what effect (intended and unintended) the program had on the kids, their parents, local community, etc.  Also, you will need to consider the consequences of using a fake dig versus a real dig, as both have negatives and positives concerning the messages being offered.  There is a lot to think about when doing these programs.

Jay

M. Jay Stottman
Staff Archaeologist
Kentucky Archaeological Survey