HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2012 14:53:27 -0600
 Fellow HistArchers:
I am a member of a committee established by the Council for Maryland Archeology charged with the development of a white paper on best practices. My particular charge is to identify the best practices in accurately and precisely documenting the locations and boundaries of archaeological sites.
I have examined the standards and guidelines published for eight eastern states and one western state in the USA. The words 'accuracy' and 'precision' are mentioned in only one or two and none offers guidance on the matter other than investigators documenting the instrument and standard error when using GPS units. I'm seeking input on best practices in mapping site locations, boundaries, units, etc., with or without GPS units. Discussion welcome.
Jim Gibb

James G. Gibb

Gibb Archaeological Consulting

2554 Carrollton Road