HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Stottman, Michael J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 05:06:51 +0000
Is it possible that the pail system was being used?  Sometimes pails or other containers were placed in the privy to collect the waste.  These containers would have been emptied daily via a door in the back of the superstructure, perhaps the contents were dumped outside of the mission.  This system would not leave much of an archaeological signature.

Jay

M. Jay Stottman
Staff Archaeologist
Kentucky Archaeological Survey