HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:01:35 -0500

Another opinion on "diggers"  shows from Ann Early, Arkansas State
Archaeologist.
I also watched  both shows. Yuck.
One item I  noticed was that the protagonists made significant note
that some of  their loot was going to Museums; one associated with the
Montana prison  and another set in downtown Charleston. There was film
of a  representative of the latter identifying and buying some of the
loot from the  plantation adventure.
These  institutions may be museums in name only, but this act, like
the 'disclaimer'  at the end of the program advising others to know
about relevant  laws (not to respect them, mind, just to be aware of
them) give  another whif of legitimacy to the silliness.
I checked, and  the 'museum' behavior in both episodes violates the
code of ethics of  the American Association of Museums respecting
collections  activities. Two points seem relevant, promoting public
good instead of  individual gain, and  "acquisition,  disposal, and
loan activities  are conducted  in a manner that respects the
protection and  preservation of natural and cultural resources and
discourages  illicit trade in such materials".  The two museums shown
in these episodes  might not give a flip, but maybe the AAM does.
So, museums  potentially get a black eye here, and museum directors
may find more  metal detector folks on their doorstep asking for cash.
That would extend  to VIC in State Parks, and NPS facilities here in
Arkansas too, if  past experience is any guide.
If the AAM  doesn't know about this program, seems to me they ought to
be informed. It  wouldn't hurt having the museum world involved in
And, just  briefly, my thought about 'Scavengers' is to have a talk
with people at  the National Trust. Looting old buildings is not
something the  Trust would encourage, and since there are two Trust
advisors in each  state, usually associated with state level historic
preservation  advocacy groups, that is another national level
organization with  local affiliates that could speak about its
concerns here  too.
The broader any  alliance that archeologists might be able to muster
outside our own  discipline, the more effective any of our activities might
 be.