HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:27:17 -0600
Hi all,

Because this  query is about material culture, I hope it might be acceptable on this list, at least for the initial query.

I am on the Board of a museum in Houston which includes several historic houses, two of which focus specifically on African American history in Houston.

Their curator is trying to locate sources for furniture made by enslaved or emancipated African Texans, some of which would be displayed in these houses. Barring that, he'd also like to connect with those who might know of items made in other states.

He also wants to begin a discussion and compilation of a database furniture made by either enslaved people or Freedmen, which he would share with other museums. Or, if there is such a database now, he'd appreciate knowing about it (so far he has not been able to locate one).

Obviously a great deal of furniture made throughout our history would have been made by African American craftspeople, just not attributed as such (a point which we have discussed). But if anyone does know of a source for items which are attributed in this way, we'd appreciate the information. Please feel free to contact me off-list.

Best,

Carol

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Community Archaeology Research Institute, Inc. (CARI)
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Houston
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Rice University
1638 Branard
Houston, TX 77006
www.publicarchaeology.org