8bit
In-Reply-To:
<7BBA6617C4364527B8DAAB3BC5C01E75@drinkhail>
MIME-Version:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
It should be as simple as writing a research design grounded in the quantitative with learned questions asked. Instead, we all too often see the lackadaisical generalities that in themselves are not answered with the report.

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of sent
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ethics question

At a point not doing requisite science moves one closer and closer to unscientific pothunters. We don’t need that. State of the art requirements and I mean beyond presence or albescence research designs would not create any grey areas. The scientific high ground must be maintained. As science progresses so should reporting and analysis. From what I see in average reports this has not happened. It needs to. no excuse for it not to be If we as professionals want to be given priority in life to access. It is like my doctor-he needs to be current or not at all. Seeing archeological reports little changed after 30 some years casts a great shadow.

Conrad Bladey
Peasant
Professional Archeologist

Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ethics question

Not just firms; also state services cutting budgets, cutting staff. Parks Canada provides a good, recent example. Also a few interesting cases here in Germany.

I suspect that attitude has developed, though, by firms being asked to cut budgets to a bare minimum. When the governing agencies and clients are strapped for cash, that's naturally going to affect how the work is done and it doesn't usually leave much room for deeper research. It's unfortunate in my opinion, as it severely limits the types of research that are funded in this realm. I always appreciate firms who use their own funds to do additional research on the side and present their findings at conferences, etc. It's not always easy to make that happen.

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2