ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:53:44 -0700

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your concern. I was included in the layoffs with along with many other senior staff.  It was a horrible event, unprecedented in scope in Exploratorium history--particularly, from my perspective.

The reasons are multiple and more complex than presented in the Chronicle article; some reflect an acceleration of planned organizational transitions that accompany all major institutional changes. Here's my thumbnail take:

Attendance has been reasonable and better than we did at the Palace of Fine Arts, from Memorial Day Weekend on.  We even had a 10,000 person day (day and evening combined, special event).  However, the high paying tourist audience has not happened, we're still mostly a local to regional attraction, not a "destination" as was anticipated.

As one might expect gate admissions prices don't reflect the actual amount of money per visitor.  Though we're charging $25 per adult,  there are varying discounted prices for local adults, children, and others.  The result is an average ticket price take of something shy of $13 per visitor.  The shift in visitor-ship from local to tourist was expected to boost this to something closer to $16.  It has stayed at $13, very similar to the final figures at the PFA.

The once constant flow of Federal tax dollars that sustained a third to a half of the annual budget has dried up for a complex array of reasons.  It's not likely to ever return with the same strength.

The market for museum design and development has changed.  The most lucrative contracts require design, development, and installation, and a much different operational structure than that required to nourish and operate a museum. Making the transition has not been smooth.

The Exploratorium's unprecedented uniqueness and originality as now been copied, marketed and sold, and will continue to be. In science there is no copyright on phenomena.  Market competition has increased.

Then there's parking, which is a thorn--forecast and then discounted as a major impediment. It remains.  Pier 17 is not an option.

The splendid new building has many inherent costs of operation, is a big capital asset and needs to be actively managed, and though our rent is minimal, the building itself is more expensive, and requires more care and maintenance. It's orders of magnitude more than the PFA as a base expense.

The upshot as been a looming budgetary hole, coupled with continuing uncertainty of attendance and revenue streams.

Prudently, management has taken action to control and reduce costs and budget.  Whether or not these measures are sufficient remains an open question, and the best that can be done at this point.  It's institutionally and personally painful.  We're--they're--running the experiment.

Somewhat like life, itself, the Exploratorium has been and will be shaped by its environment and events beyond its control.  The process is inevitability ruthless by nature.

Sent from Charlie Carlson's iPad
Cell 510-499-8086
Try me on Skype (510) 984-3543