ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 10:47:47 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Fisher [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]; 'Informal Science Education Network'
Subject: FW: ISEN-ASTC-L Digest - 5 Aug 2013 to 6 Aug 2013 (#2013-190)

Kathy - At 3 different museums, including my current one, I've had regular
weekly and monthly segments. They've ranged from 1 minute 8 minutes in
length. But to directly answer your question, yes, I did do a 30-minute
Saturday science show in one of those markets. It was a two-person
operation. I did the writing, planning, ideas, props, demos, interviewing
any community reps, etc, etc, etc. I had one videographer who did all of the
shooting, editing, sound effects, music, etc. It was paid for by State
gaming funds with most money going to the outside contractor who initially
set-up the partnership, some money going to the station, some to the museum.
I do think that it was strongly mission- based. It provided great
programming to the community, and people actually watched it. So, it also
had good marketing value. I don't believe that it led to feet through the
door, but it was good for overall brand recognition. The downside - and this
is a big one - it took a huge, mega, mongo, grando amount of my time to
create. Both work time and personal time. While I really enjoyed it,
personally and professionally, it was a pain. At least in the format that I
made the show. Other formats would/might probably take less time. I believe
that the same brand recognition and community awareness and educational
mission is just as effective in my current short weekly segments.

Martin (not Weiss)

Martin S. Fisher
Executive Director
Science Central