ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:37:47 -0700

Martin,
I mostly couldn't agree more.  It is proving to be highly unfortunate that museums, the field, didn't address this aspect earlier. I'm not arguing that its easy.  There was a time in the past when putting together such studies might have been more favorably looked upon, but now it's more like push and shove.

Ideally, the affects might be generalizable to common museum situations, and not a specific museum.  My statement, runs counter to the competitive nature of funding for specific projects and activities so highly favored under the current system of peer review.  The reasons for why we've come to this cross roads, are indeed complex and rationally driven.

What is demanded under the current funding regime, are herculean in nature, and are not easily answered nor gracefully deflected.  A study will not likely be designed through email listerve exchange.  The field has a track record of more than 40 years.  Science museums are being inserted into remote areas of the world with under or non-exposed populations perhaps there are major effects to be garnered there, for example.  What's needed are broadly applicable, robust effects.  I don't think it's about the subtleties of exhibit techniques at this point and should cut across cultures and socio-economic status.

On Aug 8, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Martin Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Martin Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Charley
>>
>> A major problem is as I tried to express are the different out comes.
>> Factual learning is easy but is that what we really want to measure? How do
>> you measure ore complex cognitive functions? How do you limit inputs when
>> you look at science center visits? To answer your question it wold take
>> more money and more bxlls than seems to be available in government these
>> days.
>>
>> Martin where x=a
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Charles Carlson <
>> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>>> institutions.
>>>
>>> *****************************************************************************
>>>
>>> Martin,
>>> Thanks so much for posting.  I don't know that I read the memo as such
>>> good news as the blogger writes, since early memos aren't included in the
>>> links, but hopefully it reflects some softening of a former harder
>>> position.   In any case it's a very worthwhile read.
>>> http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/memoranda/2013/m-13-17.pdf (also below).
>>>
>>> I wish we had one major controlled study that demonstrated the longterm
>>> benefits on educational achievement, cognitive function, level of success,
>>> or STEM choices caused by visiting a science center, or museum that
>>> correlated with frequency of visit, subject material presented, and level
>>> of engagement.  I don't know what it would take to do it.  Until that
>>> happens, informal programs such as museum visits,etc. are at the mercy of
>>> hearsay, innuendo, and speculation.
>>>
>>> It is hard to imagine that in an era of ever tightening resources that
>>> there won't be continuous pressure for proven programs (correlated
>>> sustained benefits).

>>> –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
> Martin Weiss, PhD
> Senior Scientist
> New York Hall of Science
> mweiss at nyscience.org
> cell   347-460-1858
> desk 718 595 9516
>
> --

Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist | Teacher Institute

http://blogs.exploratorium.edu/whyintercept/
Twitter: @charliec53
email: [log in to unmask]
Tel:   415-528-4319
Fax:  415-885-6011
exploratorium.edu
facebook.com/exploratorium twitter.com/exploratorium
The Embarcadero, Piers15 & 17
S.F., CA 94111