Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2012 18:05:22 -0500
I recognise that from the Soil Association, the UK's main organic certifier's web site.  I told them some years ago that it appeared to have been translated from a foreign language by a non-beekeeper and offered to help them revise it. I was told then that their hands were tied by the EU but, checking again, i see that they have at least got the name of Varroa right.

They recommend regular (but don't say how often) renewal of the queen in order to encourage strong resistance to disease and prevention of infections. How does that work?  Control of 'male brood'. We call them drones.

They say:
6.2. If despite all the above preventive measures, the colonies become sick or
infested, *they must be treated immediately* and, if necessary, the colonies can
be placed in isolation apiaries.

That would be illegal in the UK if the disease is Foulbrood as there is an automatic standstill order to prevent the disease being spread unnecessarily.

You are encouraged to kill your queens but you're not allowed to clip their wings.

No wonder the EU is so unpopular!

Chris